Please confirm your eligibility for FASPE (pronounced \fas-pē\), by clicking here.
For a printable version of these instructions, click here.
The FASPE application includes these items:
- A completed online information form
- The following supplemental materials:
- Essay of approximately 1000-1500 words
- Resume that includes information on employment and educational history
- Transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended, including the current institution if applicable
- Two letters of recommendation from academic faculty. (For Business and Journalism applicants, letters from supervisors or employers are also acceptable.)
Additional details on each of the above items are provided below. Please read through all of the instructions before beginning the application process and make sure to include your name on your essay and resume and to follow the instructions below on how to format and name your documents. Please also note that applications materials cannot be returned.
All supplemental materials (essay, resume, transcripts, and letters of recommendation) should be submitted in pdf format to FASPE@mjhnyc.org.
(Instructions for sending applications by regular mail are included below, but electronic submissions are highly preferred.)
Application Process in Detail:
Online Form Description:
The online form takes approximately 10 minutes to complete and must be completed in one session. You will not be able to save the form part-way through the process and return to it later. In order to complete the online form, you will need the names and contact information for the two individuals writing your letters of recommendation, as well as for two additional individuals who can serve as personal/work references. (Those providing personal/work references do not need to submit a letter on your behalf, but we may contact them at some point during the application process.) You may preview the questions on the online form, by clicking here.
Step-by-Step Application Instructions:
1. Choose the program that fits your current course of study (or, in the case of Business and Journalism candidates, it may be your current employment) and complete the appropriate online application:
(Starts in Berlin on May 22, 2016; ends in Krakow on June 2, 2016)
(May 20, 2016 - June 2, 2016)
(May 20, 2016 - June 2, 2016)
(June 17, 2016 – June 30, 2016)
(June 17, 2016 – June 30, 2016)
2. Once you have filled out the online form, submit the supplemental materials listed below to FASPE@mjhnyc.org. All supplemental materials must be submitted in pdf format.
Resume: Your resume should include your educational and employment history, along with any honors, awards, and publications.
Transcripts: We require transcripts from all institutions of higher education where you spent significant time. (There is no need to send transcripts from a semester abroad or for a single summer course.) You may send official transcripts, or your own scanned copies (preferred) of the official transcripts. Printouts and screen shots of online transcripts are not acceptable. If you are in your first year of a program, and do not have any grades yet reported, please submit a letter from your dean confirming your enrollment in your degree program and, ideally, including a list of classes currently being taken. Note that school admission letters or letters from your registrar that do not include your degree program are not acceptable as proof of enrollment.
Essay: Please submit an essay of 1000-1500 words in length, stating why you are applying to FASPE. In your essay, please include why you are interested in FASPE, what you hope to gain from the program, and what experiences and academic work will enable you to enrich program discussions. Please also make clear your own career aspirations and why you are interested in that profession. Other questions to consider in your essay are: How have your experiences or academic work shaped your understanding of particular contemporary ethical concerns in your field? What ethical dilemmas have you faced or do you expect to face in your career? What shaped your response to these dilemmas or what factors feed into the way you will respond to such dilemmas in the future? Please be sure your name appears at the beginning of your essay.
(For Journalism Applicants: Please include a section in your essay that addresses a particular issue in contemporary journalism ethics that you would be interested in exploring further, along with an explanation of what has sparked your interest in the topic, and how relevant you believe the particular issue to be to your own career, as well as to that of other current or future journalists.)
(For Seminary Applicants: Please include a section in your essay that relates to FASPE’s interfaith dialogue, covering one or more of the following: 1) reflect on a belief you held regarding people who differed from yourself and how you came to move away from that belief; 2) write about a difficult dialogue situation you found yourself in and how you reacted; 3) if you have previously participated in interfaith dialogue; how have you grown through it; 4) if you have participated in CPE, how did you respond when theological differences surfaced in your group or how did you deal with offering care to families whose religious beliefs and values were far afield from your own.)
Letters of Recommendation: Two letters of recommendation from academic faculty are required. (For Business and Journalism applicants, these letters may also come from a supervisor or other employer.) We prefer letters from academic faculty that have taught you in your current or most recent graduate program, although we will also accept letters from previous graduate education or from your undergraduate career. If submitted by email, these letters must be submitted by your recommender and should be submitted in pdf format. (The two personal/work references listed on your online form should not submit a letter.)
FASPE applicants should contact their own recommenders to solicit letters. If your recommenders seek guidance on what to include in their letters, please convey that we are looking for the following:
- A discussion of any of your academic work and/or experiences that would enrich this program with its focus on contemporary professional ethics;
- Information about how actively you participate in class discussions and/or an assessment of your verbal and written expression;
- Details about how you have reacted in emotionally and intellectually intense classroom exchanges or work experiences.
Please do NOT submit any additional application materials. Unsolicited materials will not be reviewed.
For FASPE Medical and Seminary applications: ALL MATERIALS MUST BE RECEIVED BY TUESDAY, DECEMBER 22, 2015 TO BE CONSIDERED.
For FASPE Business, Journalism, and Law applications: ALL MATERIALS MUST BE RECEIVED BY TUESDAY, JANUARY 5, 2016 TO BE CONSIDERED.
You can submit supplemental materials either electronically (highly preferred) or via regular mail.
Instructions for electronic submissions:
- Email your resume, transcripts, and essay as separate attachments (in PDF format) in one email. (If the files are very large, you may submit these materials in separate, consecutive emails.)
- The subject line of your email should be formatted as follows: Last Name - First Name - Program (example: Smith - John - Seminary)
- Attached documents should be labeled as follows: Last Name - First Name - Submission (example: Smith - John - Essay or Smith - John - Transcript BA)
- Please submit your application materials to FASPE@mjhnyc.org
- For your letters of recommendation: Please have your recommenders email their letters to FASPE@mjhnyc.org. All letters of recommendation must also arrive by the deadline for the program to which you are applying (December 22, 2015 for Seminary and Medical applicants, and January 5, 2016 for Business, Journalism, and Law applicants).
Instructions for submissions by regular mail:
Mail hard copies of your resume, transcripts, and essay to:
Thorin Tritter, Ph.D.
Managing Director, FASPE
Museum of Jewish Heritage
Edmond J. Safra Plaza
36 Battery Place
New York, NY 10280
Recommenders sending letters of recommendation by regular mail should also mail to this address.
Application materials sent by regular mail must be received by the following deadlines to be considered:
-For FASPE Seminary and Medical applications: TUESDAY, DECEMBER 22, 2015
-For FASPE Business, Journalism, and Law applications: TUESDAY, JANUARY 5, 2016
Thank you for your interest in FASPE. We look forward to receiving your application. If you have any questions regarding the application process, please email Thorin Tritter at ttritter@FASPE.info.
Please note: Due to the high volume of applications submitted, we regret that we cannot respond personally to each application submitted. If there are any problems with your application, we will get in touch with you.